Anyone who knows me knows I love chocolate, and I love coffee, and I am absolutely addicted to SunButter. Because I’m an addict and I use it in recipes (and just on a spoon out of the jar sometimes..), I reached out to SunButter to see if I could grab one of the types I can’t find in the stores; the organic one. They very kindly obliged so that I was able to try it and make you guys this recipe to enjoy.
Let’s pause to talk about why SunButter is so awesome.
1. All of their product is locally grown (it’s nice to know where things come from)
2. ALL of their product is NON-GMO (it’s extra nice to know you’re not eating Frankenfoods)
3. Virtually ANYone can enjoy it without tummy issues, inflammation, or allergic response (it’s free from the top 8 allergens- the initial reason I first tried it way back when). All of their seeds are even deliberately grown in parts of the country nowhere near peanuts so that cross-contamination does not occur, and their facilities are peanut and tree nut free as well.
4. The taste. It truly is my very favorite of all the nut/seed/legume butters out there.
Back to business..
This recipe turned out to be so versatile. It made delicious cupcakes, awesome donuts, and super cute minis. I also made a second batch a few days after making the video, and it works as a cake mix (of course), but it made some really good sunflower brownies too. So, get creative with it. If you’re not a coffee lover like I am, feel free to leave that out. It is excellent either way. Conversely, if you are a a big fan of the Joe, using more will absolutely make this more robust and rich tasting. You can even coat some coffee beans as an extra treat on top. I should’ve thought of that before I made the little flick..
Suffice it to say, this recipe is now in my go-to stash for desserts and party treats. They are, of course, vegan. I use soy-free butter and gluten-free flours as well and no one is the wiser. These would be the perfect treat after a delicious Caesar Salad or Protein Packed Buddha Bowl!
Let it be known, SunButter did not compensate me in any way to make this recipe or review their product. They did send me out some product to try at my request. I just love them that much, and you will too. You can find it at tons of groceries, health food stores, online on their page, and through my Amazon links below. I may/may not receive compensation if you get it through there (I never know), but feel free to help a gal out if you’re so inclined. Scroll down just a bit and you’ll find this delicious dessert and video tutorial awaiting you. Please forgive my terrible decorating of treats.. I’m working on it..
Chocolate Mocha SunButter Cupcakes, Donuts, and Minis
- 1 cup Plant-based Milk
- 2 TB Instant Coffee
- 3 TB Flax Meal
- 9 TB Water
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Chocolate Extract
- 2.5 cups Gluten-free Flour
- 1 cup plus 2 TB Cacao Powder
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1.5 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Softened Vegan Butter
- 3/4 cup SunButter (creamy)
- 2 cups Vegan Sugar
- 1 cup Vegan Chocolate Chips
For the Icing
- 1/2 cup Vegan Shortening
- 1/2 cup SunButter
- 3-6 TB Plant-based Milk After 3, add a TB at a time as needed
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 TB Instant Coffee
- 3 cups Vegan Powdered Sugar
- Sunflower Seeds
- Chocolate Chips
- Espresso/Coffee Beans
- Measure out vegan butter and set out so that it may soften.Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large measuring cup or a medium-sized bowl, mix plant-based milk with instant coffee and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix flax meal with water to create 3 flax eggs. Add vanilla and chocolate extracts, stir well, set aside.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, sift together gluten-free flour, cacao powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Combine milk/coffee mixture with flax eggs. Stir well.
- In a large bowl, cream together the softened butter, SunButter, and sugar.
- Alternating between the liquids (milk/flax combo), and flour mix, combine them with the creamed butter/sugar mix. One third at a time is good, so it will go- 1/3 liquid, mix, 1/3 flour, mix, 1/3 liquid, mix, 1/3 flour, and so on until everything is combined.
- Mix in chocolate chips by hand.
- Pick which goodies you'd like to make- cupcakes, brownies, cake, donuts, etc. This batter does it all 🙂 Prepare it- liners for the cupcakes, spray/grease the pans for donuts, cakes, brownies, and the like.
- Bake 18-22 minutes but be sure to check on them at 18 minutes. If you are making mini cupcakes, it may be a little less time and check around 15-16 minutes. Use a toothpick to ensure they are done. Make the icing while they're baking.
- Cream together shortening, SunButter, vanilla, instant coffee, and 3 TB of milk.
- Add one cup of powdered sugar at a time. If you would like the icing to be creamier, add a TB of milk at a time until you reach the consistency you like best.
- Allow your goodies to completely cool. Frost them as desired. Sprinkle a little instant coffee on top, and add other yummy things like sunflower seeds, chocolate chips, or coffee beans as desired.
- Enjoy! This recipe makes a lot!