Virtually everyone loves chocolate chip cookies, right??
Right! Though not everyone can tolerate all of the allergens, chemicals, or preservatives that oftentimes go in them. Here we have the ultimate hypoallergenic, easy-to-make, deliciously crunchy Chocolate Chip Cookies. They are excellent for all occasions- birthdays, after school snacks, congratulation treats, hell eat them in bed like My Geezer does!
How can these cookies be so versatile and great treats for ANYone?? They are:
Gluten Free | Wheat Free
Nut Free (though you could add some if you wanted)
Higher in protein than other Chocolate Chip Cookies
Made from 90% whole/raw foods
Free from chemicals and artificial preservatives
You’ll notice this batch of cookies is a bit darker than some of the store-bought ones. I use raw, uncharred vegan sugar which leaves the granules close to their original color, not white. Most sugars are charred (with animal bones) and are thus not vegan. I have an entire educational post on sugars and sweeteners here if you’re interested in learning more. Also, Teff Flour is a little on the darker side. If looks are killin’ ya though, go ahead and swap it out for something lighter. I do love the consistency and nutritional profile of Teff though.
The butter we use for this recipe is Earth Balance. There are several different types offered by Earth Balance (again, something for everyone), but we used the Soy Free version. It comes in a tub or sticks at the grocery. The sticks work just a little bit better in baking. Check out the nutrition:
We’ll make this short and sweet so you can get right to it. Nobody wants to wait for their cookies.
Enjoy the video and scroll down for the recipe!
Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies to Die For
- 1 tbsp Flax Meal
- 3 tbsp Water
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 cup Teff Flour
- 3/4 cup Sorghum Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 cup Packed Vegan Brown Sugar
- 1/3 cup Vegan Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance Soy-Free Butter
- Set out 1/2 cup of Vegan butter ahead of time so that it can soften to room temperature.
- Pre-heat oven to 350*.
- Mix flax with water to create flax egg. Add vanilla extract and mix that in as well. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl combine both flours, baking soda, and salt. Stir thoroughly with a whisk or fork and set aside.
- In a larger bowl combine the softened butter and both sugars with a hand mixer or whisk. Add flax/vanilla combo to the bowl, mix another 30 seconds or so until its evenly mixed in.
- Begin to pour the dry ingredient mix into the wet ingredient bowl. Do 1/3 at a time allowing them to thoroughly (but not overly) blend before adding the next 1/3 dry mix.
- Set aside the mixer and grab a large spoon. Add chocolate chips and any other goodies you’d like, then fold those into the dough with the spoon.
- Scoop out one spoonful of the dough at a time onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment or a silicone baking mat.
- Cook for 13-16 minutes depending on your oven.